Skilled Worker

Employment Standards in Canada 
Workers in Canada are protected by both federal and provincial regulations. Federal regulations establish national employment standards and provincial regulations affect employees within their jurisdictions.  These regulations encompass aspects like minimum wage, health and safety guidelines, hours of work and holiday time.

Working in Your Trade or Profession 
Newcomers are free to pursue their trade or profession in Northwestern Ontario as long as no specific federal or provincial qualifications are required to access the profession (these professions are known as unregulated).

Working in Canada 
All newcomers must apply for the required documentation in order to work legally in Canada. When you arrive, you need to find out about taxes, Employment Insurance (EI), Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and apply for your Social Insurance Number (SIN). All Canadian residents must have a SIN to work in Canada. 

Apprentice Programs 
Apprenticeship Programs combine in-class studies with paid on-the-job training in a skilled trade.  As an Apprentice you will be an employee and you will earn a salary while you learn a trade, usually under the direction of more skilled workers.  You will also be required to complete classroom instruction offered in the community. Most apprenticeships last two to five years, with the majority of the time spent in the workplace.

Applying for Accreditation of your Credentials 
If the profession or trade you wish to pursue in Canada is regulated you must be registered by the appropriate regulatory body before you can start work.

Learning English 
Learning English is one of the best things you can do to improve your lifestyle and employment prospects. A good knowledge of the English language will help you to communicate better and integrate into your local community.